Friday, April 03, 2020

Heartbreaking Potential

This is a letter to you, potential friend
Potential friend of a friendship that will likely never be
What will eventually seem like a moment in time
Currently sticks out as much more than a memory
It burns in my chest and rings in my head

The connection was real
And it was something I wanted to feel
I began to use it as a positive to leaving my circumstance
Looking forward to another confidant 
A fellow nerd to be one more comrade

It seemed like your feelings grew steadily 
Leading to fear of an explosion ahead 
It got complicated and confusing and hard to explain 
Not much more can compound such confusion
Than the need for professional boundaries 

There are so many things I'd like to say
So many things I wish I could unfold for you and I
So much concern for the friend I could have had
If only I would say hello
Or reach out with a "how are you"

But such worry is wafted from a distance 
For one thing you do not know about me 
The power of avoidance is a skill I bear 
Like a compulsion I cannot shake 
All it takes is one situation I don't understand or know how to fix

This is a letter to you, potential friend
Potential friend of a friendship that will likely never be
All the things I don't know how to say but feel deep inside 
... Feel enough to break my heart

1 comment:

Resonating Sound said...

.... how interesting it would be, if I could just pop this in front of you. Be our luck, you'd be more confused.