Wednesday, September 15, 2010

As Summer Slips

(This piece was originally written at Spencer's Coffee shop a few weeks ago during a poetry reading. I have edited only the ending.)

I stand here before all of your faces
Most of which I've never seen
And most of which I will never see again
Feeling moved to write moments ago
And for what reason I'll never know
I sat and let these words spin
They came quickly and smoothly
Complete without complication
Almost as if urging me to read
But I feel as though if I did
It would be with a roaming imagining
Of one of your many faces
Being annoyed by this rushed work
Just enough to clock me in the head
With some random object in your sight
A blow hard enough to clear my mind
To make so many troubles disappear
All that has plagued these first days of school
So that all that would remain
Lingering in this skull could consist of
Every bit of good brought to me
From the summer quickly slipping away

2 comments:

Optimistic Fantasy said...

Don't let the summer slip away

Let our Love be Heard on High said...

... You know, I have been thinking about your suggestion for a bit.. and I think it has brought me to a pretty good title. Thank you.